Fri

Feb

2015

Friday Fix: the faces of Angkor Thom, Cambodia

This is the first in my little new series, Friday Fix, a quick burst of inspiration to spur you on through your final day in the office or maybe remind you to dig out those pushed-back travel plans. Never published before*, the idea of these photos is to give you a glimpse of some of the most incredible places I've ever found in a format you can digest in a coffee break...

Angkor Thom, Cambodia
[click to enlarge]

This is Prasat Bayon, one of the extravagant collection of temples that forms the ruins of Angkor Thom. Though this city, last of the Khmer empire's capitals in Cambodia, is a little less impressive in scale than the famous Angkor Wat, I was mesmerised by these carved-stone faces. From around the turn of the 12th to 13th century, this was the official state temple of the Mahayana Buddhist King Jayavarman VII. The different facial expressions hint to me that at least somebody in the building process had a sense of humour.

*Unless you're one of my original followers- Mum or Dad.

Shikha (whywasteannualleave) (Saturday, 28 February 2015 09:54)

I LOVE the idea of the Friday fix series Katie - just a little bit edited chunk that can get the travel inspiration going during a lunch or coffee break sounds great! And certainly it had that effect on me as I've never visited Cambodia! Those of us who haven't been always hear lots about Angkor Wat but it's interesting to see some pics of the other temples and I like the expressions in those faces ☺

featherytravels (Saturday, 28 February 2015 12:14)

Thanks Shikha, that's really kind. :) I hope you get to Cambodia some day, but Laos and Malaysia are also really lovely countries, so spend a little time exploring the region! Thank-you for stopping by.

Nathan Anderson (Wednesday, 04 March 2015 04:01)

Good recommendation! I loved the faces of Bayon :) Probably my favorite ruin in the Angkor complex was Preah Khan. It didn't have the quirkiness of Bayon, but was so huge and overgrown... never have I felt more like Indiana Jones!

Also, I agree w/ Shikha... the Friday fix series is great! I'm super busy these days, I like the idea of a short paragraph and photo to get my day started.

featherytravels (Wednesday, 04 March 2015 12:59)

Preah Khan is amazing too Nathan- I'm glad we both got to see it before the trees tear it apart!

Becky Padmore (Thursday, 05 March 2015 21:34)

Hoping to get there very soon! Looks incredible!

Agness Walewinder (Saturday, 14 March 2015 18:37)

I lived there for 2 months and I absolutely loved there. Such an inspiring place to chill out and meditate.... :)

featherytravels (Saturday, 14 March 2015 18:42)

Two months?! Wow, that must have been amazing Agness.

the free-spirited girl (Saturday, 25 April 2015 15:51)

This is nice! Enough to fuel the hearts of those stuck in their office chairs to travel and see the world but cannot. Keep it up!

Katie Featherstone (Saturday, 25 April 2015 15:52)

Thank-you! It means a lot. :)

Where's our van now?