Friday Fix: Nanuya Balavu Island, Fiji.

This is the second in my bi-weekly (*cough...*) series, Friday Fix, a quick burst of inspiration to spur you on through your final day in the office or maybe remind you to dig out those pushed-back travel plans. The idea of these photos is to give you a glimpse of some of the most incredible places I've ever found in a format you can digest in a coffee break...

These little Green Chromis* fish were so abundant around Nanuya Balavu Island that at times it felt a little like we were swimming through a teeming soup. The reflections on the under-surface of the water not only create a mesmerising pattern, but in this photo, give you some impression of how it felt to be totally surrounded by these fish.

Nanuya Balavu, part of the Yasawa group on the Western fringes of Fiji, is known to tourists as "Mantaray Island" for obvious reasons. A sighting is never guaranteed, but we swam with them twice while we were there. Both the boats and groups are small and I didn't feel like we were putting any unethical stress on the manta-rays while they simply swum gracefully underneath us against a current we couldn't possibly hope to battle with. It was five years ago, but seeing them still stands out as one of the most incredible experiences of my life.

<- Oh... I couldn't leave you without a manta-ray even if the quality is terrible.

*I think this is what they are, but please let me know if you have a more professional identification.

We were lucky enough to stay for a week on our trip around the world as a birthday present to my friend and travelling partner Ailsa. Thank-you so much David and Heather!

Mantaray Island (Friday, 13 March 2015 19:57)

Fantastic photos and great blog post about Mantaray Island, we're glad you enjoyed your stay and we'd love to see you back to swim with the manta rays once again.

Becky (Saturday, 14 March 2015 20:53)

Those blue fish look beautiful - I bet it was amazing to swim with them all :)

featherytravels (Sunday, 15 March 2015 12:00)

Thanks- yeah I hope to come back too one day Mantaray Island! You're so far away, that's the problem.

Becky Padmore (Monday, 16 March 2015 10:21)

Beautiful blue fish, great photo!

Nita (Monday, 16 March 2015 12:57)

Lovely photos, especially that of the Green Chromis fish. Looks like there are countless of them! Sure it was really cool to be surrounded by them :)

featherytravels (Monday, 16 March 2015 13:22)

Thank-you both for stopping by! Yeah, it was amazing Nita. I'd love to be back instead of here in the cold English winter!

Charlie (Thursday, 19 March 2015)

Waaaaaahh! That is such a cool photo of the blue fish. They look so gorgeous. I've snorkelled a lot but never seen a school that large! One day!

featherytravels (Thursday, 19 March 2015 11:53)

Haha, thanks Charlie!

Nathan Anderson (Friday, 20 March 2015 07:19)

I love these pictures! I've never swam with anything close in size to a manta ray; that must have been incredible. I really need to get to Fiji! You've sold me on it ;-)

featherytravels (Friday, 20 March 2015 14:53)

Another convert! Horay!

Mary (Wednesday, 25 March 2015 02:31)

Beautiful photos! That first photo is amazing! We loved Fiji but we didn't make it to this island. What an experience to swim with the manta rays.

featherytravels (Wednesday, 25 March 2015 10:46)

Thanks Mary. We only ended up there by chance really, but it was amazing. I'm glad you've had an opportunity to explore Fiji too.

Michelle (Wednesday, 25 March 2015 11:08)

Wow those fish are so pretty! Must've been so fun to swim amongst them!

featherytravels (Wednesday, 25 March 2015 16:05)

Thanks Michelle!

Agness Walewinder (Saturday, 28 March 2015 15:27)

Fiji has been on my bucket list for ages and your blog post just made me wanna go there even more!!

featherytravels (Saturday, 28 March 2015 17:10)

I hope you make it Agness!

Phone Credit For Refugees and Displaced People is a volunteer run organisation. I can't stress their importance enough - please click on the image below and join the facebook group to find out how you can help. If you are not on facebook, you can still donate here

You can find Feathery Travels on facebook, twitter and pinterest.