Friday Fix: Chefchaouen and the mountains, Morocco.

This is the third in my bi-weekly series, Friday Fix, a quick burst of inspiration to spur you on through your final day in the office or maybe remind you to dig out those pushed-back travel plans. The idea of these photos is to give you a glimpse of some of the most incredible places I've ever found in a format you can digest in a coffee break...

Chefchaouen, mountains, Morocco.
Chefchaouen, Morocco.

The little town of Chefchaouen is a well established stop on the Morocco backpacker trail, but don't let that put you off.

To get to there from Fez we failed to find a direct bus and caught another one half way to Ouazzane (not the "Wazan" I was searching for on road signs). Then waited there for two hours roasting on the road side, drinking inordinate amounts of water and orange juice and chatting to a Ozzie circus performer called Mitch. Finally our bus arrived and we bundled in for another couple of hours of sweaty discomfort.

Chefchaouen was well worth the journey. The blue tinged buildings nestled into an impressive mountain scenery are a great escape from the hassle and bustle of bigger cities.

Hiking up into the mountains, my friend Darren and I stumbled across a cannabis farm. Spotting a farmer, we were a little nervous at first (remembering that scene from The Beach) but, the farmer was remarkably friendly and brought us water before introducing us to his tiny daughter. There were goats stumbling around and the shade of a giant tree a relief after being under the scorching sun all morning. We were in no hurry.

Chefchaouen from the mountains.

Prue (Friday, 27 March 2015 11:29)

At first I thought the goats were stumbling about because of the cannabis... that would have been classic! Sounds a beautiful town. Thanks for sharing.

Becky Padmore (Friday, 27 March 2015 13:14)

What a cute little town, wish I visited on my Moroccan trip!

featherytravels (Friday, 27 March 2015 14:29)

That really would have been something Prue! haha

Jeff Wilson (Saturday, 28 March 2015 07:35)

Thanks for sharing about Chefchaouen. I would say that it is one of my top 5 places to visit in Morocco right up there with Fes, Essaouria and the desert. For those of your readers who love photography, Chefchaouen offers tons of great shadows, shades and cool colors.

Where else did you go in Morocco?

featherytravels (Saturday, 28 March 2015 10:13)

Hi Jeff, I also went to Marrakesh, Essaouria (for the Gnaou music festival), Fez and Al Hosema. Thanks for stopping by!

Shikha (whywasteannualleave) (Monday, 30 March 2015 12:49)

I love seeing your Friday fix features but really wish I hadn't seen this one because I only recently went to Marrakech and so badly wanted to visit Chefchaouen, having heard how blue and beautiful it is! But we were only there a few days and it was simply too far so ill have to go another time!The photos look just lovely!

featherytravels (Monday, 30 March 2015 13:02)

Thanks Shikha! I'm glad you're enjoying it. :D I hope you get back to Morocco some time- I'd love to explore more too even though I had five weeks. Such a colourful country!

laura tinker (Monday, 30 March 2015 16:36)

morocco looks like a fantastic place, and everyone I know who has travelled there says good things. I just dont have enough holiday to cross my bucket list off before more entries spring up!

featherytravels (Monday, 30 March 2015 16:42)

I know what you mean Laura!

Nita (Saturday, 11 April 2015 13:29)

Looks like a beautiful and charming town. Never been to Morocco but would love to some day! :)

featherytravels (Saturday, 11 April 2015 15:01)

Thanks Nita. I hope you get there soon! I'd love to go back too. :)

Agness (Monday, 14 September 2015 16:34)

Hiking is definitely my thing, so I honestly can't wait to go there. Seems like a rewarding challenge and I love challenges.

Katie Featherstone (Monday, 14 September 2015 16:47)

Good luck! :)