Friday Fix: a sobering walk down the river in Siem Reap.

This is the seventh edition of my bi-weekly series, Friday Fix, a quick burst of inspiration to spur you (and me) on through our final day in the office. The idea of these photos is to give you a glimpse of some of the most incredible places I've ever found in a format you can digest in a coffee break, but maybe this one is more a dose of reality than wonder...

Stilt houses, Siem Reap, Cambdia, South East Asia.

Siem Reap, gateway to the Angkor temples, is a busy little town increasingly filled with tourists. To get a more realistic idea of life in Cambodia, simply wander down the river.

Precariously built stilt houses stand in the river providing homes for those too poor to afford more solid accommodation near the centre. Old ladies cook in pots over open fires and scratty chicks peck into the mud. I watched children playing and fishing in the same river where women were washing their clothes and I can only imagine what a lack of plumbing meant for the water quality.

Fishing and stilt houses, Siem Reap, river, Cambodia, Asia

If you hop between tourist spots it's relatively easy to forget Cambodia's problems, but I felt like the Khmer regime had left a scar on these people and wondered if they could ever fully recover.

Siem Reap, river, Cambodia, Asia

Becky Padmore (Friday, 22 May 2015 13:41)

Must have been very sobering, such a tragic history.

Katie Featherstone (Friday, 22 May 2015 13:45)

Yeah, it's easy to forget how recent it all was.

Sarah Elizabeth || SEDiva Abroad (Sunday, 24 May 2015 08:28)

Beautiful photos. It's actually amazing how little people talk about it (not that I have direct experience, I actually mean near me) despite the recent history and the mental and physical scars it's left behind.

Katie Featherstone (Sunday, 24 May 2015 11:38)

Thanks Sarah. We were never taught about it in school either somehow. I think it's really wrong.

Anje Rautenbach (Sunday, 24 May 2015 20:38)

This takes me back to my time in Cambodia, it was indeed an eye-opening journey. Stunning reflection on your last photo!

Katie Featherstone (Sunday, 24 May 2015 21:03)

Thank-you Anje. :)

Phone Credit For Refugees and Displaced People is a volunteer run organisation. I can't stress their importance enough - please click on the image below and join the facebook group to find out how you can help. If you are not on facebook, you can still donate here

You can find Feathery Travels on facebook, twitter and pinterest.