Friday Fix: Milford Sound, New Zealand.

This is the eighth edition of my bi-weekly series, Friday Fix, a quick burst of inspiration to spur you (and me) on through our final day in the office. The idea of these photos is to give you a glimpse of some of the most incredible places I've ever found in a format you can digest in a coffee break...

Milford Sound, New Zealand.
Milford Sound, New Zealand.

I'm not sure why I haven't mentioned New Zealand yet. It has some of the world's most beautiful landscapes, but I don't feel like my photos do it justice. It's nearly impossible to say anything original about Milford Sound, but named by Kipling* as the eighth wonder of the world, it's certainly a great candidate for this position in my little Friday Fix series.

New Zealand's original inhabitants, the Māori, who still form a massive part of this county's culture, named this place Piopiotahi. It harks back to an ancient legend where they tried to win immortality for mankind. The story goes that when Maui, their hero, died in the attempt, a piopio bird flew here in mourning.

As a nasty twist to end this sad tale, the piopio is now extinct after European settlers brought cats and rats and began to destroy their habitat.

Milford Sound, New Zealand.

*Joseph Rudyard Kipling was an English short-story writer, poet, and novelist probably most famous for "The Jungle Book". He was also a great traveller who spent time in India, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and even lived here in Devon for a while. To me, he seems like a pretty good person to recommend an eighth wonder.

Milford Sound, New Zealand.
Milford Sound, New Zealand.

Prue sinclair (Friday, 05 June 2015 11:35)

Katie, I'm so close to NZ but I've never been. Maybe your pictures
    dont do it justice but they certainly make me want to pack my bags and go. happy Friday gorgeous.

Katie Featherstone (Friday, 05 June 2015 13:23)

I think you'd love it Prue. There's so much amazing hiking and scenery to die for. I'd love to go back and hitchhike around now I'm a little older and more confident. I hope you make it! :)

Becky Padmore (Friday, 05 June 2015 20:14)

I went there recently, it's an incredible place! It looks like you went a dry clear day, you were very lucky it was pouring when I went!

Katie Featherstone (Friday, 05 June 2015 20:43)

Oh no, what a shame Becky! We waited in Queenstown for about a week until it cleared!

Anje Rautenbach (Friday, 05 June 2015 21:12)

This post was so insightful. It looks like a hidden paradise! Beautiful photos!

Katie Featherstone (Friday, 05 June 2015 22:07)

Thank-you! :)

Duke Stewart (Monday, 08 June 2015 09:01)

Wow, what a wonderful bit of backstory to accompany some gorgeous shots there.

I always wanted to visit New Zealand and can understand why so many people from Korea (where I live now) fall in love with it after visiting. I just spoke with a student today who’d lived there for a year and I’m pretty sure this will be his final destination after making millions and hitting it big in his homeland.

I know that America is home to some wonderful landscapes but there’s something just… different in how New Zealand landscapes compare. I don’t like comparing unless a picture takes me back to somewhere I’ve lived and in this case, I really can’t come close.

Milford Sound looks fascinating and would make me get lost for days just staring into it. Is that a waterfall in the distance there at the bottom of the nearest peak in your first picture? I feel like there’s so much to see in this one place and it makes me wonder why (or how) you ever left this place.

I feel like this would be it for me. ☺ Thanks for sharing such an inspirational bit and for the backstory on the Maori. Isn’t the Kiwibird also in trouble due to human contact? I’ll quit writing now or else this comment will be in “book” territory soon☺

Katie Featherstone (Tuesday, 09 June 2015 13:42)

Hi Duke,

Thanks for your lovely comment. You're very welcome to write a book there! :)

There are lots of waterfalls at Milford Sound, it's so beautiful! I would love to visit Doubtful Sound too, which is supposed to be a bit less touristy. Thankfully Milford is very big and they are all in boats, so it's not too much of a bother. I'm not sure about the kiwi, but probably. I'll have a look into it.

Thanks again for dropping by. :D

Camille (Tuesday, 23 June 2015 15:43)

I visited Milford Sound but wasn't told about that legend! What a pretty story (but a sad end to it!).

www.camilleinwonderlands.com

Katie Featherstone (Tuesday, 23 June 2015 20:51)

I couldn't help but be struck by that final twist.

Agness (Wednesday, 24 June 2015 18:29)

The landscape is so breath-taking!!!!!

Katie Featherstone (Thursday, 02 July 2015 22:02)

It's crazy isn't it Agness!

Cory Fellows (Friday, 03 July 2015 17:44)

I can't wait to get to New Zealand next year!

Phone Credit For Refugees and Displaced People is a volunteer run organisation. I can't stress their importance enough - please click on the image below and join the facebook group to find out how you can help. If you are not on facebook, you can still donate here

You can find Feathery Travels on facebook, twitter and pinterest.