Friday Fix: Naxos, Greece.

This is the twelfth edition of my bi-weekly series, Friday Fix, a quick burst of inspiration to spur you on through our final day in the office. The idea of these photos is to give you a glimpse of some of the most incredible places I've ever found in a format you can digest in your coffee break...

Portara, Naxos, Cyclades, Greece
Portara- the doorway to nowhere.
Naxos, Cyclades, Greece

Once thought to be the birth place of Zeus and described as where the hero Theseus abandoned Ariadne after she helped him escape the Labyrinth, the island of Naxos was obviously central to Greek mythology.

^ Above is Portara, part of the unfinished Temple of Apollo. Around 2500 years old and opening out onto empty space, this enormous marble doorway has the air of a magic portal. If only you could clamber through, maybe you'd find yourself back                                                                                            amongst the characters of these                                                                                          mystical stories.

In the present day Cyclades, Milos is my favourite for incredible beaches, but culturally Naxos is unmissable. As the largest island of the group, there are over twenty impossibly picturesque villages to loose yourself in, plenty of locally caught sea food and a rugged, rock strewn landscape. This is island life at its best.

Old door, Naxos, Cyclades, Greece

Becky Padmore (Monday, 03 August 2015 13:15)

Lovely shots and the kitten looks very cute!

Katie Featherstone (Monday, 03 August 2015 13:18)

Thanks Becky!

Duke Stewart (Friday, 07 August 2015 08:19)

Naxos is perfect for this history and sci-fi nerd, Katie. With all that talk of mythology and gods and such, why'd you stop? Haha. Oh, and you mentioned beaches not too far away? I'm envious of anybody who's visited the Greek isles and seeing this really makes me want to get started saving up for a trip there. Thanks for sharing, Katie. I love your Friday Fixes!

Katie Featherstone (Friday, 07 August 2015 09:24)

Thanks Duke! I'm sorry, I could go on and on... Maybe I should dedicate another proper length post just to the myths?!

Shikha (whywasteannualleave) (Tuesday, 18 August 2015 15:17)

Naxos looks lovely Katie - I've only ever seen the coastal beachy side of Greece and never the historical aspects or the ruins, which I'd love to explore properly one day :)

Katie Featherstone (Wednesday, 19 August 2015 13:23)

I hope you have another chance to explore Shikha!

Mary {The World Is A Book} (Thursday, 20 August 2015 06:48)

What a beautiful place! I love how charming those streets look and Naxos seems to offer the history, the water and a wonderful village. The kitten is adorable!

Katie Featherstone (Thursday, 20 August 2015 09:20)

Thanks Mary! :)

Stefan (Thursday, 20 August 2015 11:50)

I love the cyclades a lot and have such lovely summer memories ferry hopping from one to another when younger. I still remember that drone on the ferry..."Paros...Naxos...Ios...Mykonos..."

Katie Featherstone (Thursday, 20 August 2015 11:53)

Haha! Me too Stefan... it can be a very long trip!

Nathan Anderson (Wednesday, 26 August 2015 12:33)

I've always wanted to visit Greece; when I do, I'll have to make it to the Cyclades. As a kid, I was always drawn to Greek mythology... so many great stories! It would be epic to be able to use the temple grounds as a portal, but I'd settle for a trip to the Greek islands ;)

Katie Featherstone (Wednesday, 26 August 2015 13:51)

Me too Nathan. I love those stories!

Agness (Wednesday, 26 August 2015 19:57)

Greece always reminds me of blue and white colors, fresh salads and beautiful beaches! I'm glad you really enjoyed it :)!!

Katie Featherstone (Wednesday, 26 August 2015 20:01)

Thanks Agness. I know what you mean about the colour scheme!

Christina (Monday, 14 September 2015)

Great photos, especially of the Portara! I've only been to the Greek mainland but the islands are definitely on the list. ;) Thanks for sharing!

Katie Featherstone (Monday, 14 September 2015 09:22)

Thanks Christina!

Eleni (Saturday, 31 October 2015 11:57)

Fantastic post and beautiful pictures! <3

Phone Credit For Refugees and Displaced People is a volunteer run organisation. I can't stress their importance enough - please click on the image below and join the facebook group to find out how you can help. If you are not on facebook, you can still donate here

You can find Feathery Travels on facebook, twitter and pinterest.