Friday Fix: Kew Gardens (part 1).

This is the seventeenth edition of my bi-weekly series, Friday Fix, a quick burst of inspiration to spur you (and me) on through our final day in the office. The idea of these photos is to give you a glimpse of some of the most incredible places I've ever found in a format you can digest in your coffee break...

Giant water lilies, Kew gardens, London, England

London's Kew Gardens, a vast complex of Victorian green houses, elegant architecture and global botanical gardens, is so extensive I can't do it justice in one Friday Fix. Holding the World's largest collection of living plants, there are many species, like these giant water-lilies that I could never hope to come across in the wild.

Rose, Kew gardens, London, England

More than just a tourist attraction, Kew is a vital resource in the attempt to repair some of our damaged ecosystem. Providing a base for scientific research, it holds a herbarium of around seven-million species of preserved plants and one of the World's largest botanical libraries full of books, illustrations and maps (I would love to explore them!).

More recently, their Millennium Seed Bank project aims to collect threatened species and conserve them as an insurance for the future. If that doesn't persuade you to cough up the entry fee nothing will.

Kew gardens, London, England
Palm house, Victorian green house, spiral stair case, Kew gardens, London, England
Fushia, Kew gardens, London, England

Becky Padmore (Monday, 26 October 2015 11:00)

I live quite near here, it's such a pretty place! I feel lucky :-)

Katie Featherstone (Tuesday, 27 October 2015 11:15)

Oh really? I'm so jealous. Do you get a discount?! Thanks for stopping by Becky. :)

Mary{The World Is A Book} (Wednesday, 28 October 2015 04:36)

Beautiful! I haven't heard of Kew Gardens before but what a collection. I love the giant water lilies. They almost look magical!

Katie Featherstone (Wednesday, 28 October 2015 09:19)

Thanks Mary! I hope you get there some day. There is plenty to do with kids too. :)

Sue (Friday, 30 October 2015 03:53)

Oh that first photo looks like little elves should be sitting on each of the pads! What a delight!

Katie Featherstone (Friday, 30 October 2015 10:07)

Haha, they could be quite big actually Sue!

Duke Stewart (Monday, 02 November 2015 18:30)

Hey Katie, had no idea there was a seed bank in London. I was just watching something about the one in Svalbard that had to open up for the first time in order to provide Syria with seeds. Places like this are so crucial to us continuing to exist and honestly, I wish leaders of the world would make weekly visits to them. Maybe they'd relax and stop trying to kill each other and the collateral damage that happens to the ecosystem as a result. Sorry to go off on a tangent but that's what I think when visiting beautiful places like Kew.

To keep it light, I really enjoyed the images you shared with this. Are the top two pics connected to each other? I feel like that flower is a lotus and part of the pond that you shared at first. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Thanks for sharing this. I love botanic gardens and am going to scope some out now that I'm back in the U.S. Got any good ones in NZ?

Holly (Tuesday, 03 November 2015 13:59)

Thanks Katie!

Katie Featherstone (Wednesday, 04 November 2015 21:31)

Hey Duke,

Don't worry about the rant I feel the same! I'm not sure the two first plants are in quite the same place, but I know what you mean.

I don't know about New Zealand, though there is surely one in Auckland? Enjoy yourself out there anyway! :)

Thank-you Holly!