Friday Fix: Las Setas de la Encarnación (Incarnación's mushrooms), Seville.

This is the nineteenth edition of my bi-weekly series, Friday Fix, a quick burst of inspiration to spur you (and me) on through our final day in the office. The idea of these photos is to give you a glimpse of some of the most incredible places I've ever found in a format you can digest in your coffee break...

Las Setas (Mushrooms), Seville, Spain

At 26 metres high and 150 long, the Metropol Parasol (commonly known as Las Setas de la Encarnación) claims to be the largest wooden structure in the world. The giant mushrooms create a merciful umbrella of shade over the scorching city, spilling their hash-tag pattern out into the expanse of blue sky. Although it's difficult to place modern architecture in the midst of Seville's historical magnificence, I felt the use of natural material and a sweeping organic structure filled this otherwise ugly space with a elegant reminder of the city's development.

Berlin's Jurgen Mayer H., the building's architect is said to have found inspiration in Spain's native trees and the vaulted ceiling of Seville Cathedral. The result lends itself towards a design resting on several large pillars, aiming to protect the Roman ruins underground.

It could be argued that the millions spent on these mushrooms' construction would have been put to better use elsewhere during the savage years of Europe's recession, but why change the tradition of a millennium?

Las Setas (Mushrooms), Seville, Spain

Sue (Friday, 20 November 2015 17:17)

That is a stunning structure. Definitely brings a smile to my face. I've not seen anything like it before.

Katie Featherstone (Friday, 20 November 2015 17:21)

Thanks Sue, me neither!

Hannah Jones (Sunday, 22 November 2015 23:15)

Its such a beautiful building!

Sam K Frances (Monday, 23 November 2015 18:33)

Love your blog hun - just been perusing it and your pictures are so gorgeous :)

crossinglemons.com

Katie Featherstone (Monday, 23 November 2015 21:00)

Thank-you both! :)

Ted (Tuesday, 24 November 2015 13:04)

Missed that one when I was in Seville. Quite a feat when you think about it.

Katie Featherstone (Tuesday, 24 November 2015 13:38)

Yeah, incredible.

Mary-Ann (Tuesday, 24 November 2015 22:13)

That looks like the lungs of the city. Amazing!

Katie Featherstone (Tuesday, 24 November 2015 22:20)

Good analogy! :)

Duke Stewart (Tuesday, 01 December 2015 21:20)

You make a great point at the end there, Katie. Why do governments continue with massive construction projects while the populace continues to struggle? I guess that's a problem with all generations because it seems that big buildings will always go up regardless of our situation. I'm happy that you brought that point up in this, even though I'm going to get suckered in and just rave about how amazing this mushroom building looks.

It really does look awesome and almost reminds me of DDP in Seoul. Regardless of anyone's stance on buildings and socioeconomics, I do appreciate you sharing this with us Katie. Take care and keep the awesomeness coming!

Katie Featherstone (Tuesday, 01 December 2015 21:26)

Thanks Duke, you really write the most thoughtful comments. I'm glad you liked the building! Thank-you as always. :)

Nathan Anderson (Monday, 28 December 2015 09:42)

Wow, what a cool building! A lot of modern architecture is pretty 'meh' for me, but this is definitely something I can appreciate. Spain seems to have a lot of really unique architecture to see... have you ever been?

Katie Featherstone (Monday, 28 December 2015 11:58)

I wonder if you're taking to me or Duke, Nathan. I've certainly been, hence the post, though with travel blogging as it is you could be forgiven for wondering if I actually had. Thanks for commenting and your appreciation of the building. :)