Friday Fix: wild camping near La Esperanza, Ecuador.

This is the twentieth(!) edition of my bi-weekly series, Friday Fix, a quick burst of inspiration to spur us on through our final day in the office. The idea of these photos is to give you a glimpse of some of the most incredible places I've ever found in a format you can digest in your coffee break...

wild camping, La Esperanza, Ecuador, South America
*click for full screen*

I've never talked about this excursion. Accompanied by our worst ever workaway host* on an expedition which quickly exposed itself as merely a publicity opportunity for the hostel owner, I have tried to block our time with him out of my mind.

wild camping, La Esperanza, Ecuador, South America
wild camping, La Esperanza, Ecuador, South America

Surprisingly, for someone who had lived there all his life, our "guide" seemed to have no idea where he was going, started to take us up a moderately sized mountain, got lost, had to go down again and then (it was now dark after we'd spent our day off cleaning) set up camp only 200m up hill from the village itself. I've purged my camera of posed advertising shots, the embroidered hostel logo in the foreground marring the beauty of the scenery, but kept the mountains for myself.

All things considered, this doesn't seem like an ideal candidate for my 20th Friday Fix, but travel is often more beautiful in retrospect and waking up to this view is still imprinted on my memory. Those spent outside continue to be my favourite nights' sleep and I'll be forever grateful for the more relaxing company of subsequent excursions.

*For a much better place to stay in La Esperanza try Casa Aida. If you want to know more about our disastrous workaway experience just ask.

wild camping, La Esperanza, Ecuador, South America

Shikha (whywasteannualleave) (Saturday, 05 December 2015 09:20)

Such a shame the experience with the guide was less than ideal but the views are incredible! But yes we want to know about your work away experience - do tell!

Katie Featherstone (Sunday, 06 December 2015 13:57)

I might have to dedicate a post to it Shikha!

Natasha von Geldern (Tuesday, 08 December 2015 12:55)

This workaway thing sounds great, when it works. How interesting to read about it. The views above certainly look pretty and the negative bits of travel quickly fade leaving the joy beind.

Katie Featherstone (Tuesday, 08 December 2015 13:50)

My thoughts exactly Natasha!

Agness (Saturday, 12 December 2015 15:12)

What a beautiful view. Perfect place for camping!! :)

Katie Featherstone (Saturday, 12 December 2015 17:19)

Thanks Agness. I guess it was after all.

Nathan Anderson (Friday, 18 December 2015 01:50)

Sounds like a frustrating workaway experience, but I'm glad you were able to salvage something out of it. That is a killer view to wake up to! Good on you for finding the silver lining ;)

Katie Featherstone (Friday, 18 December 2015 10:15)

Yeah, it was an odd one Nathan...

Susie Tenaglia (Saturday, 04 February 2017 17:34)

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own blog and was wondering what all is required to get setup? I'm assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I'm not very internet savvy so I'm not 100% sure. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Reynalda Billiot (Monday, 06 February 2017 03:18)

Thanks for the marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you're a great author.I will remember to bookmark your blog and definitely will come back later on. I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great posts, have a nice holiday weekend!