Six pristine beaches around Sagres, Portugal.

Praia de Cordoama, Sagres, Algarve, Portugal
Praia de Cordoama

The main intention of this haphazard adventure was always to delve into Portugal, though I would have been surprised to find out that we'd enter from the South. Passing the most built up stretch of the Algarve in the rain, we bee-lined towards Sagres on the promise of surf.

March is a good time for waves, but attracts far less ordinary holiday makers. Though relatively quiet and very easy to park up our van at this time of year, I think you would have to be more careful in the Summer.

Praia de Cordoama, Sagres, Algarve, Portugal
Praia de Cordoama

1. Praia da Coroama

Where green peaks reach the sea, like a cross between Hawaii and the Hebrides, we stayed beside Praia de Cordoama for three nights. The surf was good in the right conditions, but have a look from the cliffs to check where rocks are under the surface.

Praia de Cordoama, Sagres, Algarve, Portugal
Praia de Cordoama
Praia de Cordoama, Sagres, Algarve, Portugal
Praia de Cordoama
Praia de Cordoama, Sagres, Algarve, Portugal
Praia de Cordoama

2. Praia do Castelejo

Accessible on the South/West of Praia da Coroama at low tide or by taking a left when the road forks, Praia do Castelejo is a little smaller, but equally impressive. Overnight parking is specifically forbidden, but it's worth a detour.

Praia do Castelejo, Sagres, Algarve, Portugal
Praia do Castelejo
Praia do Castelejo, Sagres, Algarve, Portugal
Praia do Castelejo

3. Beliche

A little more popular, but great for surfing/body boarding when the waves are right, Beliche is a semi-circular bay, hemmed in by high (crumbling) yellow rock. A collection of vans were camped out on the cliffs, though I imagine it can get very windy at times.

Beliche, , Sagres, Algarve, Portugal
Beliche

4. Praia da Ponta Riuva

Several miles down rutted muddy tracks, past farm buildings that wouldn't look out of place at the turn of the previous century and down a steep rocky road towards the sea, Ponta Riuva should have been deserted, but the surfers knew how to find it. The waves were enormous when we went and the tide-line is nearly high enough to engulf the whole beach, but it's totally undeveloped for miles around and you can't help but feel you have discovered a well guarded secret.

Ponta Riuva, Sagres, Algarve, Portugal
Ponta Riuva
Ponta Riuva, Sagres, Algarve, Portugal
Ponta Riuva

5. Praia da Tonel

Another popular spot for surfers, Tonel is a long expanse of yellow sand, scattered with spiky barnacled boulders around the fringes. There is also an impressive view of Sagres' huge fort on the Eastern cliff.

Praia da Tonel, Sagres, Algarve, Portugal
Praia da Tonel
Praia da Tonel, Sagres, Algarve, Portugal
Praia da Tonel
Praia da Tonel, Sagres, Algarve, Portugal
Praia da Tonel
Praia da Tonel, Sagres, Algarve, Portugal
Praia da Tonel
Praia da Tonel, Sagres, Algarve, Portugal
Praia da Tonel

6. Praia da Burgau

Further East, Praia da Burgau is a different sort of beach. Rocky and a little desolate, but with dramatic cliffs, this is a good starting point for walkers. It also has a legitimate car-park for camper-vans, so in the Summer, when camping anywhere you like will be more heavily discouraged, this would be a quiet place to relax without fear of being moved on.

Praia da Burgau, campervan and van parking, Algarve, Portugal
Praia da Burgau

Christina S. (Saturday, 22 April 2017 19:46)

The beaches of Portugal are most definitely on my list! Maybe this summer (finally!)

Katie Featherstone (Saturday, 22 April 2017 19:53)

I really hope you make it Christina. :)

Una-Minh (Monday, 24 April 2017 16:03)

Love your photos! Portugal can be great for surf - I was on a surfing holiday at Ericeira and the waves were great (though quite a lot of rocks!). Your photos made me crave the sea again...

Alice Chen (Monday, 24 April 2017 16:07)

Wow - I think the best part of these beaches is the lack of people! How have other people not discovered these yet? They're gorgeous!

Katie Featherstone (Monday, 24 April 2017 17:59)

Thank-you. :) I think they are quite a lot busier in the summer!

Ada (Monday, 24 April 2017 21:33)

wow! I always knew Portugal is pretty but I never knew it has such a wonderful beaches! I am planning a trip there one day so this blog is definitely helpful! This photos are fabulous !

Katie Featherstone (Tuesday, 25 April 2017 01:24)

Thanks Ada. I hope you make it. :)

Lindsay Mickles (Tuesday, 25 April 2017 18:24)

I absolutely love the beach - it is my favorite place to be in the world! I haven't been able to make it to Portugal yet, but it is definitely on my list! These beaches look lovely... I can't quite decide which one I'd want to visit the most? Maybe Beliche - it looks very pretty and an ideal spot for people watching :)

Katie Featherstone (Tuesday, 25 April 2017 20:54)

Beliche was one of my favourites too. :)

Sandy N Vyjay (Wednesday, 26 April 2017 03:20)

The beaches mentioned in the post were really beautiful as well as idyllic! Each one of them seems so pristine and untouched. Nothing like watching a sunrise or sunset on the beach. The pictures are gorgeous and bring alive the beauty of the beaches.

Adrenaline Romance (Wednesday, 26 April 2017 16:55)

Wow! Those are very scenic beaches indeed! We love the scenery, especially that there are hardly any people in them. Those beaches seem to have large waves, so we believe they are perfect for surfing and skimboarding!

Carola (Thursday, 27 April 2017 10:04)

Thank you for this list! I am not a surfer. But I sure love myself a good coastline, and looking at your photos, Portugal has an impressive collection of coastal landscapes.

Happy continued travels!
    Carola

Katie Featherstone (Thursday, 27 April 2017 10:34)

I'm not a surfer either, but Dan loves body-boarding. I was happy only going in every now and again to be bashed in the face and drying off in the beach in between!

Kate (Thursday, 27 April 2017 15:35)

What a great post to look at while I'm in Norway! I would love to be on the beach at the moment ;)

Oliva (Friday, 28 April 2017 11:57)

Hi i am constant visitor of your site.I always find some thing new here. There one more site Flightsservices.com which resembles you.But some functionalities are unique there. As fan of your wesite want such functionalities here too.

Ami (Monday, 01 May 2017 13:13)

These are just lovely. Hard to pick one out of all these. I bet the sunset on each of these must be mindblowing . Loved all your pics

Edu (Sunday, 02 July 2017 12:06)

The beach line is magnificent

Phone Credit For Refugees and Displaced People is a volunteer run organisation. I can't stress their importance enough - please click on the image below and join the facebook group to find out how you can help. If you are not on facebook, you can still donate here

You can find Feathery Travels on facebook, twitter and pinterest.