Burt is buried in snow- Morgins, Switzerland

Winter snow, Morgins, Switzerland

We spent a week and a half in Morgins. For several days, the furthest we strayed from the the Badenoche's chalet was to walk down the road, squinting into the snow; check that Burt still started and hadn't yet been totally engulfed.

Nearly a meter deep he looked a little forlorn, but as he always has so far, rumbled to life with minimal spluttering.

Winter snow, Morgins, Switzerland

From Sunday to Wednesday, the snow was relentless. Inside the wooden house, Dan busied himself making music, carving bowls and eating bread and cookies almost as quickly as he could bake them- it was so good to have an oven! Long overdue and with dubious success, we cut off the majority of each other's hair, devoured their DVD collection and mulled cheap red wine with oranges and cinnamon. For almost half a week, simply opening the curtains to reveal the carpeted valley below was enough snow to be getting on with.

Winter snow, Morgins, Switzerland

We waited for a sunnier day, when the plough had been through and the sheet ice had mostly broken, and drove to Chatel in France for more affordable groceries.* Collecting a small Frenchman who helped to push us out of the sheltered rut Burt was moulded into, without any checks, we were over the border only minutes after leaving Morgins and winding down the hill into the next town just as soon again.

Chatel, France snow

Before "cabin fever" began to set in, it was necessary to venture a little further on our feet. We walked along the river through the valley. I'd thought it might be frozen over, but instead the water flowed around upturned bowls of snow, like woolly hats for the rocks which rose above the surface. We were Hanzel & Gretel following breadcrumbs through the forest. Until I saw the sun, it seemed almost impossible that anything without wings could live here over the winter. The tiny birds and magpies, that could nestle where the evergreen branches reached their trunks had an obvious advantage, but according to the signs there are deer hiding here too. One day we saw a tiny black squirrel and I wondered how it could travel between trees without being swallowed.

river walk, Winter snow, Morgins, Switzerland
river walk, winter snow, Morgins, Switzerland
Winter snow, Morgins, Switzerland

Eventually we began to emerge into one-hundred and eighty degrees of dazzling open air...

Winter snow, Morgins, Switzerland

Once we (and the sun) had broken out, it began to feel marginally wrong to spend entire days in our socks. We walked out from Morgins in every conceivable direction. As it turned out many seemingly promising paths often ended up knee deep to anyone without the fetching tennis-racket snow shoes which we saw several small groups of middle aged ladies sporting. We found some relatively compact paths around the border, digging our heels in as we strode down hill and panting as we trudged our way up again.

Winter snow, Morgins, Switzerland

Opposite the lake (now just a suspiciously wide, flat area of snow), it's possible to walk up around the mountain for a view of the village below.

Winter snow, Morgins, Switzerland

In the opposite direction, there is a long, silent path up to Le Jorat. After nearly a week of clear blue skies, what had previously seemed like an impenetrable coating, dense and un-negotiable for the remainder of the season, had steadily begun to ebb into trickles down the path.

Le Jorat, , Morgins, Switzerland

This way eventually took us to just across the valley from the dramatic, piranha-teeth mountains we had seen in the distance before.

La Jorat, Morgins, Switzerland
La Jorat, Morgins, Switzerland
La Jorat, Morgins, Switzerland
La Jorat, Morgins, Switzerland

It would be very difficult to stay in Morgins at this time of year unless you can sleep somewhere warmer than our tin can, so this is mostly a thank-you to my friend Sam and his parents Charles and Penny who offered us their chalet for a week (which turned into more like two). We really couldn't have enjoyed our stay more and were so grateful for the opportunity to explore a little of this country which otherwise would have proved much too cold and expensive for us to spend any time in.

*Thanks for all the helpful directions Penny!

Penny (Tuesday, 28 February 2017 16:22)

Loved all the photos and so happy you had time to relax a little and enjoy the mountains in all their glory. Enjoying both snow storms and blue skies is what winter in the mountains is all about. Happy travels.

Penny (Tuesday, 28 February 2017 16:23)

ps Happy Burt survived the cold, he is obviously made of sturdy stuff!

Cynthia (Tuesday, 28 February 2017 17:06)

Those photos are stunning! It sounds like you had such a cozy time in the cabin!! Although I'm more of a summer person (and I guess Burt too), the world looks so beautiful when it's covered in snow!! Especially when you're in such a stunning environment (and have a lot of cheap mulled wine)!

Mary-Ann (Tuesday, 28 February 2017 23:20)

Spectacular Katie,
    what scenery,it makes me want to visit. Love the hair!

Janet (Wednesday, 01 March 2017 08:36)

Stunning photos! What a feast for the soul. Glad but was up to the challenge x

Janet (Wednesday, 01 March 2017 08:37)

I mean Burt of course!

Katie (Wednesday, 01 March 2017 13:47)

Thanks everyone!

Sabs (Monday, 13 March 2017 12:05)

Looks so cold, but the pictures are amazing, especially where the sun shines through the trees. I am sure that made bracing the cold weather worth it.

Marky (Tuesday, 14 March 2017 06:46)

Wow, still my dream to travel to a place like that heavy with snow and extreme coldness. Would be an awesome experience I imagine :)

Katie Featherstone (Tuesday, 14 March 2017 09:24)

Thank-you, it was lovely. I hope you make it Marky. :)

Ellis (Tuesday, 14 March 2017 09:53)

Wow, such heavby snow. Switzerland is a beautiful place and even more beautiful in the snow.

Ferna (Thursday, 16 March 2017 02:15)

amazing landscapes. And you took the photos really really good. I love chasing the sunsets and although havent visited places like this, your photos had me to chase in that kind of weather. Beautiful one. Good thing you have friends who adopt you for a week, must be an awesome journey.

Stephanie Fox (Friday, 17 March 2017 15:29)

Photos are beautiful, I love how the snow lies on the evergreens and the stacked up tree trunks, but I imagine it did get overwhelming when you were stuck inside!

Lena from fouronaworldtrip (Friday, 17 March 2017 19:21)

I have to admit that snow, mountains and cold is not tempting for me at all, I would NEVER go there; it was never my thing and no, 0 interest.. BUT: the idea to be tucked in a chalet for a week or two with just simply nothing to do just to hang out and do things without rush but with time... THIS! Just THIS! I want it! but why did you cut each others hair?

Adam Doolittle (Friday, 17 March 2017 20:14)

Having had my fair share of snowy adventures I can feel both sides of your experience. The snow on the mountains and trees sets a magically landscape but at the same time, having to travel around in snow can be a real pain. Thanks for sharing your experience and wonderful pictures!

Anita (Sunday, 19 March 2017 08:09)

Anita (Sunday, 19 March 2017 08:11)

Switzerland is stunning. It must be a great experience to stay in the chalet in mountains surrounded by deep snow. I loved your pictures. It would be great to visit Switzerland again. Thanks for sharing.

Emily (Sunday, 19 March 2017 10:09)

Such beautiful photos. I liked your description of the piraña teeth mountains! I'd love to stay here - it's a real winter wonderland! And the photo of one of you face-planted into the snow bank made me laugh - It looks very cold!