Unusual Easter celebrations on Morley Road, Exeter.

decorated eggs, Easter
decorated egg, Easter
My sunset egg.

When I'm travelling I am always so excited to find unique little celebrations within the communities I pass through. I thought this one here in Exeter deserved a mention too...

Every year, the inhabitants of Morley Road celebrate Easter by hosting an egg decorating competition followed by egg and spoon races down the length of the street. There are separate categories for men, women and children, with the overexcited adults taking their participation even more seriously than the kids.

decorated egg, Easter
A bacon egg and panda.
decorated eggs, Easter
The winning hedgehog!
Morley Road, egg and spoon race, Exeter
My winning egg and spoon.
My winning egg and spoon.

Despite being impostors Dan and I were invited (by handmade, egg shaped invitation) this year and embarrassed ourselves by winning both races with over-sized spoons and inappropriately fierce competitive spirit.

The imaginatively painted eggs were judged by an impartial visiting child, and although I was disappointed not to win with my mountains and sunset, the nail-spiked hedgehog above was a simple work of genius.

With sunny weather ever since, the Morley Road Easter celebrations were a fitting event to mark the coming of Spring- I'd like to thank Ruth Lloyd for her vital part in the organisation and delivery of this little community building event year after year and all the inhabitants of Morley Road for making us feel so welcome. We hope to see you all next year and promise to bring smaller spoons!

Adult egg and spoon race.
Dan begins to take the lead.

I'd never been to an Easter event quite like this one and would be interested to hear if you've come across anything similar here in the UK or elsewhere in the world. Let me know in the comments below! Thank-you as always for reading. :)

flowers in Spring
primroses, flowers in Spring

The Guy Who Flies (Wednesday, 08 April 2015 14:43)

This looks like a lot of fun and I love the variety of eggs, nice change from chocolate for some.

An egg and spoon race looks like a lot of fun. It brings back memories from those dim and past school days which is when I last had a go. I wonder if I'd be any better at it today.

featherytravels (Wednesday, 08 April 2015 14:49)

Haha, yes it did remind me a lot of those traditional sports days. I was always so clumsy back then, but maybe my table spoon would have helped!

Becky Padmore (Thursday, 09 April 2015 00:34)

Love the cute eggs, so cute!

Maja (Thursday, 09 April 2015 08:57)

nice decorations, eggs are lovely :)

featherytravels (Thursday, 09 April 2015 10:37)

Thank-you!

zoe (Saturday, 11 April 2015 13:48)

That looks so much fun! Your egg looks great, pretty sure you would have won if it weren't for the hedgehog ;)

featherytravels (Saturday, 11 April 2015)

Haha, yeah I am quietly confident for next year Zoe!

Charlie (Saturday, 11 April 2015 16:35)

What gorgeous painted eggs, I'm impressed! It feels so weird seeing photos of Exeter now (I went to uni there 3 years ago) :D

featherytravels (Saturday, 11 April 2015 19:51)

Thank-you. :) We seem to have crossed paths quite often Charlie!

Mary{The World Is A Book} (Tuesday, 14 April 2015 05:28)

This looks like a fun way to celebrate Easter and would make for a great complementary activity to the egg hunt. That hedgehog egg is awesome! I haven't heard of a neighborhood/street doing something like this but I may need to "borrow" the idea for my family's Easter celebration. So cool!

featherytravels (Tuesday, 14 April 2015 10:55)

Go ahead Mary! It is such a great idea- I'd love to spread it everywhere. :)

Agness (Friday, 08 May 2015 22:59)

These eggs remind me of Easter in Poland!! Now I miss my family!

Katie Featherstone (Sunday, 10 May 2015 14:11)

You paint eggs in Poland too Agness? I'd love to see some of those one day. :)